Oct 3, 2007
School/Org
Nova Southeastern University College of Optometry
City
Hartford
State
CT
1718217129515.png

Versions of this story have been popping up unverified all over Entertainment Media. Now, it is a fact that Gyllenhaal is a moderate to high myope and I've heard that he may have some unilateral amblyopia but he is NOT "Legally Blind". He has been quoted as claiming this and it is obviously the same erroneous belief that a lot of our patients have about their refractive correction. I don't have to post the definition of legally blind here since all of us have doubtlessly had to debunk this claim by myopes the world over.
Can someone out there with a friend or contact in the media, (preferably the news), PLEASE reach out and initiate a correction of the story and a shaming of the media outlets who have been carrying the story without verifying the claims??? It's getting ridiculous.

View attachment 43575

Versions of this story have been popping up unverified all over Entertainment Media. Now, it is a fact that Gyllenhaal is a moderate to high myope and I've heard that he may have some unilateral amblyopia but he is NOT "Legally Blind". He has been quoted as claiming this and it is obviously the same erroneous belief that a lot of our patients have about their refractive correction. I don't have to post the definition of legally blind here since all of us have doubtlessly had to debunk this claim by myopes the world over
Can someone out there with a friend or contact in the media, (preferably the news), PLEASE reach out and initiate a correction of the story and a shaming of the media outlets who have been carrying the story without verifying the claims??? It's getting ridiculous.
Please supply a copy or the very least a link to the story.

Jake's a twerp who doesn't know the definition of legal blindness. Or maybe he has ..."Munchausen syndrome, a rare type of mental disorder where a patient fakes illness to gain attention and sympathy." The media as usual passing on mis-information without due diligence.

Remember when news media kept repeating a story that contact lenses would melt on your eyes while welding. That had ramifications for workers and company safety personnel banning contacts from workplace.

Reactions: Jeffrey S. Williams
Jake's a twerp who doesn't know the definition of legal blindness. Or maybe he has ..."Munchausen syndrome, a rare type of mental disorder where a patient fakes illness to gain attention and sympathy." The media as usual passing on mis-information without due diligence.

Remember when news media kept repeating a story that contact lenses would melt on your eyes while welding. That had ramifications for workers and company safety personnel banning contacts from workplace.
I used to tell those concerned pts, "Sure you mean those same contact lenses that you heat disinfect with steam at near boiling temperatures..... they're going to melt on your eyes?