UNCP to establish a Doctor of Optometry program - The Robesonian

Time for accreditation fails to take place.

C'mon AOA, you can't let the profession go to hell.

We're literally letting "academia" steal money from our children!

It is so ironic that every other profession or trade has seen continued salary/wage increases over time, yet there is such an over supply of optometry dominated by BO (Big Optical) and the BO owned VCPs that have kept OD earnings suppressed, yet our young students are entering the workforce with >$275K in student debt.

At the same time private practice ODs have a challenge finding an AOD, as all the young grads aspire to go work for Costco.

If you were shopping for stock for your portfolio, would you invest in this profession?

It is so ironic that every other profession or trade has seen continued salary/wage increases over time, yet there is such an over supply of optometry dominated by BO (Big Optical) and the BO owned VCPs that have kept OD earnings suppressed, yet our young students are entering the workforce with >$275K in student debt.

At the same time private practice ODs have a challenge finding an AOD, as all the young grads aspire to go work for Costco.

If you were shopping for stock for your portfolio, would you invest in this profession?
And some colleagues bragging about winning in denying claims.

Ophthalmology should be an inspiration to the AOA.

They severely limit the number of OMD residences available nationwide. The number remains fixed in spite of an aging population requiring additional well trained OMDs.

Last edited:
Remember in the 1980s when dental schools were closing galore? I wonder if OD schools will be next.

Remember in the 1980s when dental schools were closing galore? I wonder if OD schools will be next.
Not if the optometry colleges are controlled by outside forces. Think of Osteopaths in control of some of these colleges.

Ophthalmology should be an inspiration AOA.

They severely limit the number of OMD residences available nationwide. The number remains fixed in spite of an aging population requiring additional well trained OMDs.
This is why in my opinion Optometry will be in a great spot going forward. Unless schools keep popping up every single year like the trend now.

But Ophthalmology refuses to produce more Ophthalmology residency spots. They are retiring faster than they can produce them, and by their own projections they see a drop in total Ophthalmologists by 12% over the next 10 years while they project an increase in need for eye care by 24%.

And you have to remember quite a few of these Ophthalmologists graduating residency will go into positions like Academics, niche specialties like ocular cancer/uveitis etc, and into industry so there will be a huge need to help take care of this upcoming avalanche of Diabetes, AMD, and Glaucoma. The private practice OMDs out there will be so busy doing surgeries and procedures they won't have time for anything else. That is already the case in my area.

https://www.aaojournal.org/article/S0161-6420(23)00677-2/fulltext

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff mentions the people responsible for accrediting these school.

Maybe Dr. Batman knows, but how are the accreditors not completely apoplectic with the low board pass scores?
Those pass rates are one of the few external validators of student knowledge, it would seem to me at a baseline if you want to stay accredited you've got to keep rates at some minimum pass percentage?

Reactions: Jeffrey Kiener
Jeff mentions the people responsible for accrediting these school.

Maybe Dr. Batman knows, but how are the accreditors not completely apoplectic with the low board pass scores?
Those pass rates are one of the few external validators of student knowledge, it would seem to me at a baseline if you want to stay accredited you've got to keep rates at some minimum pass percentage?
Thank you for addressing me properly.

Here you go: https://theacoe.org/Affiliates/ACOE/Documents/ACOE/Current OD Standards.docx

this caught my eye immediately:

1716670110766.png

By writing it this way -- 80% of 'entering students', instead of something like '95% of graduates', or '95% of people who successfully completed Year 2 before they took the part 1 test') they are incentivizing schools to not fail out their marginal candidates, because they need to throw as many of those warm bodies at the board exams in order to hit that 80%.

By way of example, in my class Michigan's medical school, 10% of our initial class failed out the first year; another few % in year 2. And smaller attrition in year 3 and 4. So say 15% total of people who started never made it through the program.

If ACOE's measures are to be believed, under their rules we could only have 5% of people who made it through the program fail the board, or else risk losing accreditation. Which is not what they were going for.

Reactions: Jeffrey Kiener
but how are the accreditors not completely apoplectic with the low board pass scores?
I would also think that it would also generally be difficult for new schools at first launch to achieve high scores as they are building their new team of instructors. Also those new schools will be highly motivated to fill those seats, so they may be aggressive about who they accept. This will contribute further to the downward spiral of test scores.