1 in 3 children worldwide is now nearsighted, study shows -CNN

No, you may have g parents and even ancestor genes to muddy the waters. My son was on near point devices for 22 years and has the same high myopia as I. Proving genetics at work and dominant. Or he would be -10.
It could be that back in the day of hunters and gatherers, myopes just died. So natural selection killed off all the myopes, and all breeders did not have myopia.

It could be that back in the day of hunters and gatherers, myopes just died. So natural selection killed off all the myopes, and all breeders did not have myopia.
Or it could be back in the day people didn’t read because there were no books.

Since genetics supposedly dictates myopia incidence in a family phenotype, wonder if the carrier's genotype is skewed to one gender than the other.

Last edited:
And how many myopic males do not have an eye exam at least once a decade or so:)
Don't think they look at exam records from patient visits to get the prevalence numbers. At least I hope not. You'll get lots of confounding data, not just male vs. female but economic status, age, current refractive status just to name a few. So "females are more likely to get eye exams" shouldn't be consideration.